Why do I have a problem with this particular series?
- House simultaneously works as a paediatrician, gynaecologist, nefrologist, gastro-enterologist, radiologist, surgeon, et cetera. For some reason his hospital does not need medical specialists. Internists do know alot but those I have met never attempt to be any other type of physician.
- Oddly enough, his diagnosis will ignore more obvious possibilities, and instantly requires us to accept a more unlikely scenario.
From experience I can tell you that the series explores medical conditions that rarely, at initial presentation, offer sufficient information to instantly suggest their highly unusual diagnoses. The list of enigmas, i.e. uncommon diagnoses, I encountered consists of:
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), initial presentation: severe thrombopenia
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), initial presentation: severe thrombopenia
- Glanzmann's thrombasthenia
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia (HIT)
- Transfusion Related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI)
- Ogilvie syndrome
- Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) which, within four hours after being admitted to A & E, developed into Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome (MODS)
- Stevens–Johnson syndrome
- Irreversible brain damage because of prolonged hypoxaemia following acute and severe carbon monoxide poisoning
- Carotenaemia evaluation jaundice after visit to the tropics
- Fièvre boutonneuse evaluation after visit to the tropics, GP thought of malaria (in case of fever + tropics malaria should be the first in your DD)
- Lassa fever
- Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome (WPW)
- Dissectio aortae requiring a Bentall procedure
Add to that the convoluted, and at times incomprehensible, decisions and you understand my being underwelmed. In all honesty, his diagnostic and therapeutic approach are so aberrant it immediately removes any credibility for me. Even the caricature Scrubs has an air of authenticity.
His Asperger-like antisocial personality I find less offensive, it resembles many physicians I have worked with. Totally incapable of thinking of others, and convinced of their infallability. Admittedly, like House, they do tend to know their stuff. Strangely enough this part of the character is true to life.
His magician-like ability to conjure up the right answer out of thin air makes me incapable of watching the series.